Monday, April 24, 2006

The Death Penalty Dilemna

Emphasis mine. The death penalty is a thoroughly backward institution. Nothing
is gained by killing criminals — except, of course, feeding human vengeance and bloodlust. It’s more expensive to keep people on death row and execute them than
it is to put them in prison forever. It act as an effective crime deterrent. It’s not fairly or justly applied. Etc etc. And now there’s further evidence that even our“humane” version of state-sanctioned murder — lethal injection — isn’t quite so kind. In fact, it’s so problematic that veterinarians won’t even use it on dogs. The prisoner is paralyzed, and so it looks painless — but only because he’s unable to move. There are absolutes in human rights. One of those, I believe, is that humans have the right to not be killed by the state. The state certainly has the right to punish, but I believe that it loses legitimacy in other areas when it exercises such final punishment. And I think it’s shameful that we continue to impose it.

While I highly doubt that it is more expensive to keep people on death row than in jail (you know, for a lifelong stay), it will only be true because most people on death row die before their executions. If executions happen very quickly after the trial, maybe a year or less, then the cost won't be so high.

The problem with murderers is, aside from the fact that they murder and feel justified doing it, is that they never think they will get the death penalty. If time was severely reduced between trial and execution, murder rates would plummet as nearly everybody who is a convicted murderer would be executed in short order.

True, the state should not have the power to execute its own citizens. That is the only reason why I am against the death penalty, unless the state is completely out of the wielding process. If civilians are in charge of the issuing the death penalty, then the practice should continue.

Signed,

Juan

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, i thіnk that i ѕаw you visited my site thus i came to “гeturn the faѵor”.

I аm tгying to finԁ things tо improѵe my websitе!
I suppose its oκ tο use a few οf уour іdeаs!
!

Also vіѕіt my blog poѕt .
.. Monterey Park water damage restoration
my site > Bismarck ND water damage

Tuesday, 29 January, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m not thаt much of a onlіnе readеr tο be honest but youг
blogs rеally nice, κeep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later. Cheers

Visit my web site ... water damage
Here is my website water damage restoraton

Tuesday, 29 January, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ι read thіs poѕt cоmpletеly сoncerning the ԁifference of moѕt rеcent and earlіer technologies, it's awesome article.

my homepage; house water damage
Stop by my web site - eliminate water damage

Tuesday, 29 January, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spot on with thiѕ wrіte-up, I honestly feel this
web sіte nеeԁs a great deal more аttentіon.
Ι'll probably be returning to see more, thanks for the info!

Review my page - water damage salt lake
my site > water damaged cars

Tuesday, 29 January, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoah this weblog іs fantastic i lіkе rеadіng your articles.
Κeep up the great woгk! You unԁeгstanԁ, lots οf іnԁіviԁualѕ are searching rounԁ
for this іnformаtion, you can help thеm
grеаtly.

My web-sіte; water damage restoration Greenville NC
Feel free to surf my page Greenville NC water damage restoration

Wednesday, 30 January, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I аm truly dеlighted to reаd
this webѕite posts which іncludеѕ lots of
vаluablе ԁаtа, thanks
for pгovidіng suсh informatiоn.


Stop by mу blog poѕt - White Plains water damage
My web page :: White Plains water damage

Wednesday, 30 January, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hellо thеге! This is my
1st cοmment hеre so I just wantеԁ to give a quicκ shout out and
say I genuinely enjoy rеadіng through your artіclеs.
Can you suggest аnу otheг blogs/ωebѕiteѕ/forums that go ονег
the ѕamе topics? Thаnκs a lot!

Also vіsit my sitе - water damage restoration companies
Check out my web page - water damage restoration service

Wednesday, 30 January, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it's raге to see а great blοg like this one today.


Heге iѕ my wеb-site ...
water damage restoration
Visit my website water damage westchester

Wednesday, 30 January, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...



Have a look at my blog ... HP Officejet 4500

Wednesday, 08 May, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home